This week, the kids and I got an unexpected treat — a trip to Lake Gaston, on the NC-VA border. Though we live only 77 miles away, according to my GPS, we had never ventured to the lake before. I’m such an ocean beach lover, I just couldn’t imagine a lake vacation being half as fun. I was wrong!
|Lake Gaston quiets as evening falls|
The lake offers swimming, boating, floating, tubing, kayaking and more. The house we stayed at had a sun deck, swim deck, firepit and lots of open porch space to take in the views and the lovely lake breezes. My kids enjoyed jumping into the lake, swimming and floating on rafts. I enjoyed relaxing in the sun and listening to their shouts and whoops, reminding me of Huck Finn.
|Kids on the swim deck and adults on the sun deck. NICE vacation for all!|
|Try to find this at the ocean’s edge!|
- VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner)
- Lakehouse Vacations
- Specialized sites featuring rentals at specific locations offer homes too. Try googling “lake house rental”
- Are cable and utilities included?
- Is the rental fee comprehensive or are add-on fees for guests over a certain number, cleaning, key rental, etc.?
- Which amenities are included (the boat looks great in the photo, but it won’t be much fun if you can’t use it), pool tables, board games, certain areas of the home and property? Read the fine print to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Does the rental fee include sheets, towels, toiletries or kitchen basics (soap, dishwasher detergent, paper towels)?
- Talk directly with the rental agent or owner (email is fine) to firm up all the details. You may be able to negotiate a better rate!