When I look at our family calendar, I get overwhelmed. In the next 8 months we have two kids graduating (one from college and one from high school). Our oldest is getting married. Throw in college applications and the regular obligations and it gets a little crazy! With all this going on, there’s not a whole lot of time left over for my husband and me.
To stay connected, we’re scheduling “day dates” now and then to go to my happy place ~ on the lake. Just the two of us!
To make our day a little sweeter, I whipped up a little snack for the drive featuring one of my favorite candies, Nestlé® Crunch®. Forget the raisins and granola, juice boxes and veggies. Tomorrow is a day just for my hubby and me to indulge a little in the treats we love. I guess you could call this a trail mix, but really, it’s better than that!
Date day trail mix featuring Nestlé® Crunch®
Date day trail mix:
- 1 cup Nestlé® Buncha Crunch®
- 1 cup candy coated rice cereal (see recipe for that below)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup goldfish crackers or pretzel bites (something a little salty)
Toss together in a medium bowl. Stores well for one week in a sealed container. You can add raisins or other dry fruit if you want, but this is our date day and I chose my favorites!
Making the candy coated rice cereal:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup blue agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 7 cups rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 300º. Prepare a 9X13 baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or a nonstick silicone mat.
- Put rice cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar and agave nectar until completely liquid. Stir almost constantly and watch closely once the sugar starts to melt.
- When it’s liquidy and smooth, remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the rice cereal and toss until completely coated.
- Spread the cereal mixture on the baking sheet.
- Place in oven and stir every 5 minutes until the sugar coating is baked on and dry. (About 15 minutes in our oven)
- Allow to cool completely before eating or mixing into the recipe above.
When life gets crazy at your house, where’s your happy place? Does it include chocolate?
Visit the Nestle® Crunch® Facebook page for more ideas!