Our family is super-close. Even our newly-wed college grad who lives nine hours away likes to come home and hang out with us. I don’t think it’s my stellar parenting — I am far from being the perfect mom. I think the key to our closeness is the time we spend together. Phones shut off, we do stuff. Together.
We turn ordinary errands into events. I think it’s safe to say that while our errands are ordinary, we are — well — a bit strange. And we love it.
Perhaps you’d like to find the fun in ordinary days too? Here are just a few of the things we do… Feel free to borrow these ideas… Soon! And if you have a free family fun thing you like to do that’s not on our list, add it in the comments below!
Free + Family + Fun = Awesome!
15 free family fun ideas
- Skip through the mall. Okay, maybe some of you will need to work up to this one… try skipping through the house or in the back yard. Once you remember how much you liked skipping when you were a kid, you’ll want to skip again. Everywhere!
- Cook together. It can’t be helped — families need to eat. Why not cook together. It’s messy, sure. It’s slower than if you cook it yourself, sure. But nothing beats conversations at the kitchen counter.
- Watch a movie in PJs. Why spend tons of money on theater tickets when you can watch a movie at home — in your PJs. Maybe you’ve done it before — but how long has it been?
- Have a water balloon fight. Moms, you should play too!
- Have a squirt gun fight. Why should kids have all the fun?
- Play cards. Whether simple games or hard, card games are easy to play. Click here if you need inspiration.
- Bake a cake. Why wait for a birthday. Celebrate family!
- Take a walk. Enjoy the conversation and get some exercise too. Double win! We enjoy walks in our neighborhood, but parks and hiking trails are great too.
- Toss a frisbee. Great coordination builder and lots of fun.
- Swing on swings. When’s the last time you went to the playground to swing on the swings? You know it’s fun! Go.
- Look at the stars. That night sky is mesmerizing. And it seems there’s something about the vast, starry sky that gets kids to open up. Take advantage of it…. they don’t stay little long.
- Build a fort. Clear out the breakables and turn your living room into the coolest blanket fort ever built. Then snuggle inside and read books.
- Play board games. Not the board game type? Try something different — not everyone has to love Monopoly marathons.
- Make a family documentary. Smart phones give us all the tools we need. Create a documentary of your family story — or make up a movie. It doesn’t really matter –just have fun.
- Sing! Karaoke isn’t just for late nights at bars. See who’s got the best lungs!
I’m sure there are lots more things to add to this list. To be honest, it’s not so much about WHAT you do together, it’s more about being together and enjoying shared experiences. That’s the glue that makes a family — well, family!
What do you do to make ordinary days special?