There’s more to Illinois than Chicago and farmland! Illinois’ family friendly communities offer affordable family fun year-round. Enjoy Illinois — and reconnect with those you love most.
Lake Michigan communities and attractions
Visit Lake County
- Learn about Lake County, on the western shores of Lake Michigan click here.
- Richardson Farm, Agritourism at its best.
Visit McHenry County
- Historic treasure, Woodstock Opera House
- Visit Woodstock, Illinois, location of Bill Murray’s Groundhog Day movie
Rockford, Illinois. Only 90 minutes northwest of Chicago, Rockford is home to the sock monkey, the best Japanese garden in the United States and more. Rockford will surprise you! To learn more, visit the Rockford tourism site.
- Winter in Rockford: Winter Wonderland, Snow Sculpting Competition,
- Volcano Falls, affordable family fun
- Anderson Gardens, most beautiful Japanese garden outside of Japan (truly)
- Discovery Center Museum, hands-on kids’ museum that’s fun for all ages (even mom and dad)
Illinois: The Land of Lincoln
Springfield attractions. The capital city is home to many great Lincoln sites and attractions. Located in central Illinois, the city makes a great weekend destination for families anywhere in the midwest. To learn more, visit the Springfield CVB site.
- Springfield, the Land of Lincoln — an overview of all the attractions Springfield offers.
- Fall road trips in Illinois — add a splash of vibrant color to your getaway and enjoy the many fall festivals in the region.
- Learn more about Lincoln with this article. The exhibition is not permanent, but his words are timeless.
Alton attractions. As a traveling lawyer, Lincoln spent a lot of time in the southwestern part of the state. The city of Alton has done a great job of memorializing his time there with monuments and a walking tour. This was a pivotal location in the Civil War as well.
- 10 reasons to visit Alton, Illinois — an overview of all the attractions in this region.
- Enjoy a scrumptious slice of pie at My Just Desserts, once the building where Lincoln practiced law when in town!
For more information on all that Illinois has to offer, explore online at Enjoy Illinois, the official website for Illinois tourism.