Planning a trip to the beach? Don’t forget these beach essentials for family!
Here’s what to pack in a beach bag for a great day at the beach!
Beach Essentials for Family
There are so many things you COULD pack in a beach bag, but it helps to start with the beach essentials for family.
Then, if there’s room for more, add it if you want to!
Here’s our checklist of beach essentials for family:
- Sunscreen: Make sure you have enough to reapply throughout the day. (And check expiration dates if you haven’t used yours in a while!)
- A beach blanket: This blanket made of durable parachute material with sand anchors to stay in place, keeps towels less sandy and gives kids a larger area to take a break. It packs tiny and is easy to shake out before heading home.
- A garbage bag: A day at the beach is great. Filling the back end of the car with sand is not. Tuck a garbage bag in the beach bag to fill with sandy towels and toys to bring home. That keeps the sand out of your car!
- Snacks: Beach essentials for family include snacks to keep kids fueled for the whole day.
- Water: When considering what to pack in a beach bag, water tops the list! Lots of water!
- Baby powder: Baby powder is a secret weapon to pack in your beach bag for happy kids! We prefer Burt’s Bees Talc-free Baby Powder. Sprinkle it on sandy arms and legs to brush sand off easily. No more complaining about the itchy sand on the drive home!
- Baby wipes: This is another of our beach essentials for family to make life easy. We use unscented wipes so we don’t attract bugs. They’re great for washing up before snacks, wiping off sunscreen before the ride home, and washing hands after bathroom breaks (it’s hard to find soap at the beach)!
- Sunglasses or hat: Pack sunglasses, like these cute ones with a strap, or hats to protect eyes and delicate faces from the sun’s harsh rays. Beach essentials for family should include shades for the adults, too, with UVA and UVB protection, like these fashionable styles for men and women.
- Beach towels: When considering what to pack in a beach bag, I like these quick-dry microfiber towels because they save space.
- Flip flops or water shoes: I prefer sturdy water shoes for kids, like these water shoes. They stay on little feet and protect them better than flip flops do. As for me, this newer style of flip flops is awesome as it offers some extra support for tired feet! Dad might prefer this style of sandals, which also offer arch support, but still look cool.
- A change of clothes: Beach essentials for family always include a change of clothes for the drive home. BUT, I always pack these in a separate bag so they don’t get sandy during the day!
- Beach toys: We always carry beach toys in a mesh bag which makes shaking out the dry sand fairly easy. We can also take a garden hose to the bag to get rid of any sand that sticks. The mesh bag allows the toys to dry without getting mildewy.
- Beach cooler: If you’ll spend all day at the beach, take a beach cooler full of drinks and snacks. We like this soft-side cooler because it’s easy to carry and easy to store.
Best Beach Bags for Families
Now that you know what to pack for the beach, let’s find a great beach bag.
It’s a lot easier to pack beach essentials for family when the beach bag has the features you need.
Here are a few beach bags to consider:
- We like this family beach bag for its multiple pockets, lightweight design and other thoughtful features.
- A waterproof beach bag like this stylish one comes in handy for a day on the water, AND it looks nice, too.
We hope this list of what to pack in a beach bag helps you remember all the beach essentials for family!