With just a few mouse clicks, you can use the USPS mail hold option to make vacation travel easier.
Back in the day (before internet), vacation planning included arranging for a neighbor to collect the mail. People could go to the post office and request a formal mail hold by filling out a simple form. Since our post office isn’t convenient to my home, I usually relied on neighbors. But sometimes, neighbors forget the mail and a stuffed mailbox is an invitation to identity thieves and burglars — it screams “No one’s home!”
Our much maligned USPS offers a solution, the online USPS mail hold. Yep! From the comfort of your own home, you can request a USPS mail hold in less than 60 seconds.
- Go to the USPS hold mail page: https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/
- Complete the form. You need only one household adult’s name to hold the mail for the entire address.
- Click the “Check availability” button.
- On the next screen, complete the rest of the form indicating the mail hold start date, end date and method of delivery.
- I make the end date one day after I expect to return in case of trip delays.
- I always ask the post office to deliver my mail. Why make a trip if I don’t have to?
- Click submit.
- Save the confirmation number that appears on the next screen. The post office also sends a confirmation email. Save it, just in case you have problems.